Monday, January 7, 2008

Reinstein Woods 1-10-08




Thursday, 1-10-08 Cold morning but not too bad! I visited Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve in Depew, NY. It's an almost 300 acre preserve with forests, wetlands and ponds surrounded by suburban developments. What a surprise it is to find a place like this when you can walk in and feel like your far outside the city (Buffalo) limits but you're not!

Today was a camera exploring day, I didn't pull out the sketchbook. I saw turkeys, white tailed deer, a beaver (must be the warm winter) chickadees, downey woodpeckers, mallards and Canada geese. I captured so many wonderful pictures of leaves, dead ferns, lichens, mosses and fungi...but...alas the computer Gods were against me when I downloaded them! I lost almost all!!! Heavy Sigh....

But I shall be returning there often as I will be teaching my Nature Sketching class there this spring and summer. I will be planning several different days and time options to accomodate as many as I can. I might also offer a 'fairy house + fairy making' class! Directions to Reinstein Woods: http://www.dec.ny.gov/education/1975.html and here's another link about Reinstein Woods: http://www.dec.ny.gov/education/1965.html

No comments: